I recently (October) turned the big 3-1.
It wasn’t nearly as scary as I thought it would be, probably because my 30th rocked my socks off. Last year, I had a Jane Austen themed party and Mr. Speedy wore a tux and served us wine over a candle-lit dinner. Photo evidence below.
ANYWAYS, I thought I would do a little favorite and goal list for this year before I venture into the next year. Enjoy!
Food: Honestly, I love peanut butter. I’m pretty sure this sustained my pregnancy and will forever be my favorite food group.
Workout: Swimming with a mix of IM sets and 300 sprints. I’m hoping I’ll enjoy running more but with winter, it is never fun running outside. I also enjoy walking with stroller.
Goals for this Year
- Breastfeeding: I REALLY want to be able to keep this up for a solid year. So far, so good, but I can already tell with working out more my production has decreased a bit. Any tips on maintaining a solid amount while working out, let me know!
- Running: I am planning a half-marathon in April that I would like to finish around 1:45 (8 min. mile).
- Triathlon: I am planning to do at least 1 Olympic at beginning of summer… if it goes well, I really want to shoot for a half-Ironman at end of summer. I have never done one and I feel like this is doable, but I hope I can do it well.
- Body: I am learning more to ditch the scale and numbers and to go by feel. My body is no where near pre-baby, I think I have lost all muscle definition. I still have a faint line on my belly and my hips/butt are a lot squishier. If I can gain back my sculpted arms/abs, that would be ideal. It will be a lot of work !
Looking at these pictures though (left I was about 39 weeks, right we are about 8 weeks post-baby), it was worth it right? 🙂
- Family: This is a HUGE chunk of my time now with a tiny peanut at home. I want to maintain a goal of making family time a priority, while working/working out, and remembering to go on dates with Mr. Speedy.
- Letting Things Be Very Messy: I used to keep a very tidy house, do weekly trips to the grocery store, meal prep, etc. Now all of that is kind of upside-down. I am learning that life can get messy and it is okay if the laundry doesn’t get done right away, or that the floors are swept daily.
All in all, I am looking forward to this decade in the 30s. My 20s were good but there was a lot of unknown… moving home after graduate school, job searching, boyfriend hopping, etc.
Now, I am settled into life with marriage, house, pet, baby, and job (gosh, that sounds very lame but I promise it is not). I am looking forward to this year and all the challenges with a newborn but also the sheer reliableness that has become my life.
I like coming home and knowing what to expect. I enjoy staying in and waking up to drink coffee overlooking our lake that we call home. Putting my hand out in the middle of the night and knowing I will feel Mr. Speedy next to me is something that I will always cherish. And I want to celebrate the small victories – you better believe that when I get my pace down into low 8 mins. for a run, I will be drinking a cold beer post-run with a sweaty grin.